One nearly universal truth among our furry canine pals is that they love to chew nearly anything they can get their mouths on, whether it’s a shoe, a set of head phones, the piece of bread on the counter, or the set of keys you drop on the floor. This is why it’s important to provide our dogs with appropriate chewing toys and reward proper chewing habits.
Comparison and Contrast of Dog Chew Toys
Choosing the best chew toys, of course, depends on your dog’s breed and size, as well as its chewing behavior. Kong and Nylabone dog toys are among the most recognized brands, and they offer a wide variety of chew toys for all sizes and breeds of dogs. Here are some examples (available items and prices current as December 2013).
Kong Chew Toys
Kong chew toys are made from “super bouncy, natural rubber” and often include holes in which you can stuff edible dog treats or food, to make the toys even more appealing. Here are a few examples of available Kong Chew Toys:
- Kong Dog Toys: Kong Dog Toys vary from classic to extreme in durability, depending on your dog’s chewing behavior. This collection of toys resemble beehives in shape; they vary from small to extra large in size, come in colors including black, red, and blue; and prices range from $5.99 to $11.99.
- Kong Squeezz Dog Toys: Kong Squeezz Toys are extra durable, for heavy chewers, and feature recessed squeakers. This collection offers traditional balls, sticks, and bone-shaped toys, as well as dumbbells, footballs, and donut-shaped toys. They are available in various bright colors, and sizes varying from 2 to 11 inches; prices range from $3.99 to $11.99.
- Kong Stuff’ n Treats: This is the edible “stuff” you can put inside many of the Kong toys, to make them even more appealing to your dog. Kong Stuff’ n Treats include flavors such as bacon and cheese, cream cheese, peanut butter, and yogurt, in 5 oz. tube or 8 oz. cans. Prices vary from $2.89 to $4.99.
- Kong Extreme Dog Ball: The Kong Extreme Dog Ball, as its name suggests, is for dogs who are heavy chewers. Made of heavy, puncture-resistant bouncy black rubber, these balls are available in small and medium/large sizes, varying in price from $4.19 to $7.59.
Nylabone Chew Toys
Nylabone Chew Toys are veterinary-approved and are made of moderate to hard rubber or plastic material especially appropriate for heavy chewers. The plastic doesn’t splinter, break, or wear down significantly, and also holds a mild flavor that attracts your dog’s interest. Here are a few examples of some favorite Nylabone Chew Toys:
- Nylabone Durables: This collection of bone-shaped Nylabone Durables are available in sizes including regular (4 1/2 inches), wolf (5 1/2 inches), and giant (7 3/4 inches), as well as the Durachew style (8 inches), with extra ridges and bumps for your dog’s chewing enjoyment. Prices range from $3.29 to $9.49.
- Dental Chews: The popular blue flexible rubber, nubbed Dental Chews help clean your dog’s teeth, massage gums, and prevent tartar build up. They are available in sizes from 1 inch wide by 4 1/2 up to 5 inches long; prices vary from $3.99 to $5.99.
- Nylabone Double Action Chew: The Double Action Chew is for the toughest chewers, featuring a central bone shape with a mint-flavored center, and strong knobby ends. The entire toy is covered with dental numbs that help control tartar buildup on your dog’s teeth. Sizes vary from 1 3/4 to 3 3/4 inches in circumference and 5 to 9 1/4 inches in length; prices vary from $6.99 to $14.99.
View more articles written by K’Lee Banks.